1. Choose colors that speak to you. Think about what you gravitate towards and go there when picking your paint.
2. Think about how you could use white or black to tint colors that your purchase. Mixing colors to make your own oranges or purples is fun too!
3. Check out some inspiration pieces that speak to you and think of the feeling you want to evoke with your painting. I love the work of Michelle Armas and used her work as an inspiration for me. I also knew I wanted this piece to be light and happy.
4. I found that starting with the base color really worked for me. I wanted a light and primarily blue base and painted the whole canvas this color to start with. I worked with acrylic paint, which dries quickly. To work colors together and get a smooth look, I painted at times with a wet brush to blend colors together.
5. Add in other colors when the base is dry. (Otherwise you will end up mixing colors on your canvas.)
6. Continue to layer and blend until it's a product you like. This painting was made up of five layers and tons of blending.
Disclaimer: This is not professional advice, just things I learned along the way.
Happy painting! I would love to see some of your finished pieces!