1. First, try being specific when searching Craigslist. If you're looking for a gold federalist mirror, type exactly that. This search tip worked for finding the mirror in our powder room.
2. If being specific doesn't work, try calling your item by other names. Federalist mirrors are also called bulls eye mirrors. Also, try to think of what someone might call the item if they didn't know what it was, like "eagle mirror" if they had a federalist mirror. Fun fact, it can also pay off to spell things they way they sound. Here in the south, you can pull up many chest of drawers if you type in "chester drawers". Literally. CHESTER drawers?! Go ahead and open another tab, pull up Craigslist and search it. I know you want to.
3. If being specific doesn't work or trying other names, try going the other way and searching broadly. Type just "mirror" or "dresser" in the search. Then stretch out your fingers and get ready to scroll.
4. If you're willing to drive a little bit, or have another Craigslist market close, try searching other areas. This paid off for me when I found the vintage Persian rug in our foyer by searching the Charleston Craigslist market.
7. Last tip, when searching and buying on Craigslist BE SAFE and BE AWARE. Never pick up or meet up without another adult and always meet in a public place. If anything gives you the creeps about any Craigslist transaction, abandon it. The deal is not worth the potential danger.