First, we needed to have the screened porch stained. The porch was rebuilt during the renovation because the previous brick and windowed porch was falling off the house. It was built of pre-treated wood so we had to wait six months to a year to have it stained. We decided against doing it ourselves after getting a few quotes that were reasonable. I went out and got a few samples of stain and painted them on a scrap board to try to get the stain color close to the color of our hardwoods. The goal for me was to create a porch that was more like an outdoor living room and cohesive with our adjacent indoor living space. To help achieve this look, Doug, the contractor that completed our house transformation, had the deck boards installed using a special tool to hide the nail holes. He also used 2 x 3 boards instead of the typical 1 x 4 deck boards that tend to warp over time. Hubby sanded them even just as you would indoor flooring before stain was applied.
The next item up on our to-do list will be revealed tomorrow! Party details coming Friday!